- First Name
- Xiong (Bill)
- Last Name
- Yu, Ph.D., P.E.
- Faculty Rank
- Assistant Professor
- Named / Endowed Professorships
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (courtesy)
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (courtesy)
- Office Location
- Bingham 206
- Phone Number
- Civil Engineering
- Ph.D., School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2003
M.S. School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Purdue University, 2003
M.S. Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2000
B.S. Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1997
B.S. Department of Computer Science, Tsinghua University, 1997
- Research Interests
- Geotechnical and infrastructure engineering, environmental geotechnology, foundation engineering, nondestructive testing, sensor technology for infrastructure, environment and energy applications, multi-scale model of civil engineering material and system, computer-aided design, green design, sustainable engineering.
The goal of my research is to advance the science and engineering for sustainability. My research interests aims at applying interdisciplinary expertises to develop modern sustainable infrastructure systems. This embraces research on innovative methods for construction materials properties characterization, infrastructure integrity evaluation, performance monitoring, and infrastructure management information system; study of the fundamentals of civil engineering material-structure interactions at different scales to develop new materials for transportation and environment; development of advanced numerical methods for Civil Engineering applications; sensor technology for infrastructure, environment and energy.
- Recent Publications
- Yu, X., Drnevich, V.P. and Nowack, R.L., 2006, “Measurement of Soil Properties Profile by Time Domain Reflectometry”, The Fourth International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Geotechnical Special Publication
Yu, X., Drnevich, V.P. and Nowack, R.L., 2006, “Soil Type Identification by Time Domain Dielectric Spectroscopy”, Geo-Shanghai International Conference, Geotechnical Special Publication, ASCE Geo-Institute.
Yu, X. and Zabilansky, L.J., 2006, “TDR Automatic Bridge Scouring Monitoring System”, Geo-Shanghai International Conference, Geotechnical Special Publication, ASCE Geo-Institute
Yu, X., 2005, “Design of Impact Test System for Pavement Subgrade Evaluation”, Geo-congress 2006, Geotechnical Engineering in the Information Technology Age
Yu, X. and Drnevich, V.P., 2005, “Information Technology for Future Field Instrumentation System: Opportunities and Challenges”, Geo-congress 2006, Geotechnical Engineering in the Information Technology Age
Drnevich, V.P., Yu, X. and Zambrano, C.E., 2005, “Refined Calibration Procedures for the One-Step Method”, Geo-congress 2006, Geotechnical Engineering in the Information Technology Age
Yu, X., 2005, “Seismic Structure-Foundation Interaction Analysis of A Spillway”,8th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering
Yu, X. and Drnevich, V.P., 2005, “Density compensation of TDR calibration for Geotechnical applications,” Journal of ASTM International, January
- Website URL
- Member for
- 4 years 6 weeks